Seeing a Psychologist for a
Cosmetic Readiness Assessment
Have you identified a psychological risk in a patient where you feel like they might need extra support in making the decision to get a cosmetic procedure or surgery?
Cosmetic Readiness Assessments are conducted by clinical psychologist, Dr Toni Pikoos, who has an in-depth understanding of both the benefits and challenges of cosmetic procedures. She has seen how cosmetic procedures can greatly enhance a patient’s psychological wellbeing and confidence, when a patient is motivated for the right reasons and in the best physical and emotional position to undertake a procedure.
In addition to Dr Pikoos, we have a team of psychologists ready to conduct Cosmetic Readiness Assessments for patients who wish to undergo cosmetic surgery or cosmetic procedures with immediate availability.
Our service is Australia wide, with assessments conducted online via telehealth.
You can refer a patient using the form below or calling us.
Phone: 1300 993 755
We receive referrals from:
- Doctors such as:
- Cosmetic Physicians
- Cosmetic Nurses
- Cosmetic Dentists
- Dermal Therapists
- Mental Health Professionals
- Cosmetic clients self-referring
How do I refer a patient?
Direct from Cosmetic Practitioner
If you would like to refer us a patient directly, please fill out the form below or send us an email to email@example.com. When completing the referral, please provide some brief information about the reason for referral, and what cosmetic surgery or procedure has been requested. Please provide your patient’s contact details, with their consent. We have developed a template for this referral email or letter here.
You can also send a patient to our website to fill out the form themselves.
We will then contact your patient to book them in for a Cosmetic Readiness Assessment.
Following this assessment, we will send a brief letter back to you with our feedback from the session. We will determine whether the patient is:
1) Low risk – indicating they are in a good headspace, with reasonable expectations and motivations for the cosmetic procedure. Our recommendations would be that they are ready to go ahead with cosmetic treatment without any further input, unless requested by the patient or practitioner.
2) Moderate risk – indicating that we have identified some risk factors during the assessment, such as unrealistic expectations or inappropriate motivations, or mental health issues which are currently unmanaged. In these cases, we might recommend further counselling sessions before or after the cosmetic procedure to help prepare the patient to develop coping strategies that will help them get better treatment outcomes.
3) High risk – indicating that we have identified some significant risk factors during the assessment, such as severe mental health concerns which are unmanaged. In these cases, we might recommend against cosmetic treatment at this time, until the mental health concerns are more stable. We would be happy to provide or make recommendations for psychological support to assist in managing these concerns. We would then be happy to re-assess the patient at a later stage for the cosmetic procedure.
We are also available to provide support following the assessment, to assist in preparing the patient for their surgery or cosmetic procedure, or providing psychological support or counselling in the recovery period.
The ultimate decision as to whether or not to go ahead with the cosmetic procedure will rest with the cosmetic practitioner and patient, following our assessment and recommendations.
What are the costs?
Cosmetic Readiness Assessments involve a 50-60 minute assessment with a psychologist or clinical psychologist, a feedback session with the patient, and a letter with recommendations provided to the cosmetic practitioner (and GP if relevant) following the assessment. The cost of these assessments is $400, in line with the Australian Psychological Society’s recommended fee schedule.
We can also discuss the fees and rebates when a patient makes their appointment.
Referrals for a Cosmetic Readiness Assessment
If you would like to refer a patient, or you would like to refer yourself for a Cosmetic Readiness Assessment, please complete the form below or call us on 1300 993 755.